Saturday, September 5, 2009

Chowin' down again at Chow King (National City, California)

Chowking


Of course, no visit to San Diego is complete without a visit to Chowking for some fast food, Filipino style! After Sunday mass with my folks, we trekked to National City for some breakfast.


It seems that fried chicken is the big thing now with Filipino fast food; both Jolibee and Chowking have their own variation. The furs were quite upset with us for not bringing home any.

Half bangus (milkfish) and rice. My dad and I got this one. Milkfish is a mild-flavored saltwater fish. Here, it is marinated and deboned, and is served broiled. Underneath the fish is a little bit of atchara (pickled green papaya). The atchara was bland and way too mild.



My mom got the bihon guisado, made with bihon (rice noodles) and chicken.


Tocino (cured pork), bangus and rice combination.




We got three taho (soft tofu with syrup) and got one free. Unfortunately, it was bland and did not taste too fresh.

My mom picked up a few bags of siopao for us to bring home. The furs liked the egg and chinese sausage flavor and DJKung agreed that it tasted better than the asado flavor.
I think just for the nostalgia factor alone, Chow King easily makes it to our SUPERROTATION. I am waiting for the day a franchise opens up here in the NY/NJ area!










No comments:

Post a Comment